Saturday, December 01, 2007

A Note From Daddy

Good morning from Beijing! It's 7:02 and I think that I'm finally up for the day...after waking up every 2 hours throughout the night.

Ever since leaving the Great Wall, I have been so full of emotion about this entire trip. First of all, the people of China have been absolutely wonderful. I can say hello to everyone in Mandarin, but that's where my ability to communicate in the native tongue begins...and ends. However, I cease to be amazed at how proficient the Chinese people are in English.

Yesterday was an experience of a lifetime and we were left in awe of everything. Tian'anmen Square looks so boring on TV, and my photos certainly do not do it any justice, but that place is massive. Then toss in the Forbidden City, were Emperor after Emperor lived. Each building crafted so beautifully, and so high atop the walls.

Then there was The Great Wall. To think that we were walking on part of this amazing feat of human engineering and construction, that began over 2,000 years ago was really overwhelming.

My wife said it best when she said "It feels like someone just plopped us down in a whole different time." She is absolutely right, and we feel honored to even be here.

Yesterday was so awe-inspiring. Everywhere we looked, our mouths dropped open, and you could here "Wow" or "Oh my" coming from everyone in the group. As amazing as those thoughts were, they will pale in comparison to the thoughts and emotions that will come over us about 8 and a half hours from now...when we become parents!

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Chills- Tommy- you just gave me chills! How in awe everything must be! It is simply amazing! And to think that in only 8 hours you will get to hold your baby daughter for the first time! What a wonderful journey!