The family is asleep, and daddy is at the keyboard. We're to be up, dressed, packed, and downstairs in less than 6 hours...but I find myself unable to sleep at the moment. I cannot help but reflect on our time here, and felt compelled to write a few notes for posterity. While I cannot sleep, I am tired, so forgive me if any or all of this is incoherent...or just plain dumb. Thank you.
Have you ever been working on a jigsaw puzzle and you get down to the last piece or two...and you realize that a piece is missing? Yet, you know the piece is there somewhere...you're just certain of it. To me, our family was that jigsaw puzzle, and Ruby was that puzzle piece that was there somewhere, we just had to find it. This week we found the missing piece to our puzzle...and she fit perfectly.
What an amazing trip. Such a long drawn out process that seemed it would never end...followed by a sort of mad dash to pull together a trip that would take us half way around the world (by the way, thank you mommy for all you did throughout all phases of the process) to meet our Ruby.
I can't help but think about being at work when H called me to give me the news. We were in the middle of a class change when I felt my Blackberry begin to vibrate. I looked and saw it was a call from her, and knew it must have been pretty important and I assumed it was news about our house, yet I also knew I wouldn't be able to hear her in the midst of middle school chaos. So when I answered, I merely said "Let me call you right back, we're changing classes." Her reply was inaudible, but I could tell she was crying. I said, "What? What's wrong?" She gathered herself (but only a little), and said "She's ours! We got her!" You couldn't have smacked the grin off my face with a shovel and a rake.
Meeting Ruby, holding her, hearing her call H "mama", watching her play with Bella, seeing her smile...it all brings back that same grin. Our puzzle is complete, and now it is time to leave this amazing place. A piece of me will certainly remain, and a piece of beautiful country and its generous people will go with us as we travel home.
Time for sleep. My last sleep in Taiwan until we return to visit. My last sleep, my last van ride with Mr. Yeh and Alex, my last round the clock travel...all followed by my first night at home with both our daughters.


2 comments:
Okay, do you know how difficult it is to see the words on my screen when your eyes are filled with tears. Thanks, Tom!
Your words couldn't be more perfect and certainly don't reveal how tired you are. Bill, Olivia and I couldn't be happier for all of you! It has been a long road, but of course it was well worth the travel.
Here's to the cutest most perfect puzzle piece ever!! So glad your journey to Ruby is complete! Now hurry up and get home! Drive safe!
Beautiful and safe journey home with your beautiful family!
Post a Comment