However, I can say that the pain and anxiety over the long road to get to this moment in time has quickly been replaced by absolute elation. Holding Ruby, seeing her smile, hearing her calling H "Mama", watching the interactions between her and Bella...those memories will last a lifetime.
Add to that the beauty of Taiwan...not just the scenery, but the people themselves. Everyone here is so welcoming. Everyone except the one woman in the Rosewood Lounge here at the hotel who gives us grief about "policy" when we ask if we can have a Coke and a Coke Light (a.k.a. Diet Coke) to take back to the room. Apparently the "policy" is that drinks are free as long as you enjoy them IN the lounge. Well pardon us for not wanting to schlep our two young daughters down to the lounge to watch mommy and daddy enjoy a soda. Perhaps if we did that just once during her shift, then she'd loosen up a little on her "policy" stance. I digress.
Our guides, Mr. Yeh and his son "Alex" just might be two of the three nicest men I've ever met (along with "Dennis"...our guide in China). These two men have bent over backwards to make sure that our experience here is a pleasant one. They've rearranged their schedules to accommodate us, encouraged us to try foods that we honestly would never dream of trying on our own, and even helped us haggle a better price on a few items at the local market. All with a smile on their face(s). I wish everyone could have seen the look of absolute joy on Mr. Yeh's face as we were coming to the end of our day today...not because his day with us was almost over, but rather because as he drove us back to our hotel, he heard Ruby in the backseat calling H "Mama". He turned his face toward us, all smiles, and said "Ahhh...mama!!! Baby say mama!"
Now for a few random ramblings in conclusion:
- I am intrigued by the delicate dance that is the traffic of Taiwan. It's obvious to anyone that the painted lanes on the streets are merely suggestions of where one could drive if so inclined...but are largely ignored. We have routinely been 6 cars wide on 3 lane streets throughout our stay.
- I don't think I could get you within 5 miles of a 7-Eleven store ANYWHERE at home without looking up locations online. However, I can walk you to multiple locations all within 5 minutes of our hotel.
- H and I found it amusing that several local buses have large photos on the side which depict men wielding guns. While it is obviously an ad for a movie or television show, we joked that it was all part of the new mass transit ad campaign..."Ride or die"
- Scooters are EVERYWHERE!
- Sumo wrestling is one of those things that once I start watching it, I just cannot make myself change the channel.
Goodnight all. We'll be home soon.


5 comments:
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I'm glad you enjoyed Taiwan and now get why all the families who have used them, value and cherish their time with Mr. Yeh and Alex. Safe travels!
Lovely reflections on your time in Taiwan, Tom. My sentiments exactly. We were quite saddened to have to leave this beautiful country.
So wonderful to read that ruby is calling h mama. Awesome. I don't get that from phae chia-an yet so I am jealous, and elated, for you guys!!!
It has been such a pleasure to watch your family grow. Great descriptions of Taiwan and the fabulous Mr. Yeh and Alex. We too could not believe what a difference they made on the trip and how truly generous they were.
Great update, so lovely to hear you have had smiles from sweet Ruby and she calls H Mama!!! That's one smart cookie you've got there!
Those first interactions between new siblings are so incredibly special and to have the photos to show them when they are older will be really precious.
Your musings on Taiwan made me laugh, we too fell in love with beautiful, amazing Taiwan and Mr Yeh and Alex are just wonderful!
What an amazing trip and great joy it has brought. You will have these wonderful memories forever. Your guides were wonderful to you all and so pleasant. I can't wait to hear you are back home safely.
Post a Comment